My Portion

An account of my portion from God, through his Word; digesting what I'm reading.

My Photo
Name:

I'm a homeschooling mum of 5 so far, love my kitchen and food, love my acreage, and Love My God. Stuart is my best friend, and the best gift God has given me after the gift of eternal life.

Thursday, February 03, 2005

The Council at Jerusalem

In reading Acts 15, I'm seeing that the first question was; Should the non-Jew believers be circumcised in order to receive salvation? The Apostles discussed this and decided that God knows people's hearts and so there was no distinction between non-Jews and Jews in faith. So, to burden the non-Jews with this circumcizion isn't going to gain me - a non-Jew any more salvation than a circumsized Jew. The other part of the question, down in verse 5 was whether the non-Jews should keep the Law of Moses.

The message that was sent out to the Gentile Believers in verses 23-29 was that they needn't be circumcised, but that they should "abstain from eating food offered to idols, from consuming blood or eating meat of strangled animals, and from sexual immorality." To me this equals the Law of Kashrut and the Law of Niddah. If I'm not to eat food offered to idols, I wonder what the foods are offered to idols? Well, I've looked and looked and can't find it, maybe that's what the Lord will reveal to me in time. But I do know that the offerings to the Lord were cattle, lamb, goat, pigeons, doves - so those things wouldn't be offered to idols and they wouldn't be offensive to God. So that means I can eat those, and I do... well chicken instead of doves. The instruction in Leviticus 17 teaches us
10 " 'Any Israelite or any alien living among them who eats any blood-I will set my face against that person who eats blood and will cut him off from his people. 11 For the life of a creature is in the blood, and I have given it to you to make atonement for yourselves on the altar; it is the blood that makes atonement for one's life. 12 Therefore I say to the Israelites, "None of you may eat blood, nor may an alien living among you eat blood."

And then Leviticus 18 is all about forbidden sexual practices, which includes verse 19 " 'Do not approach a woman to have sexual relations during the uncleanness of her monthly period." which is the Law of Niddah.

In Act15, the Apostles said of the Phariseical comment 5Then some of the believers who belonged to the party of the Pharisees stood up and said, “The Gentiles must be circumcised and required to obey the law of Moses.”The decision was 10Now then, why do you try to test God by putting on the necks of the disciples a yoke that neither we nor our fathers have been able to bear? 11No! We believe it is through the grace of our Lord Jesus that we are saved, just as they are.” So is it the circumcizion that is a heavy burden? The whole Law? Clearly by the letter sent by the Apostles to the Gentile Believers, the part of the Law which seems to be Niddah and Kashrut must not be too much of a burden, because they encourage the believers to do this.

Jesus said
Matthew 11
28“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
Is this yoke Jesus is speaking of the same yoke the Apostles were saying was a burden? He's saying this to those who believe in him, those who believed when they saw the miracles he had done.

I don't find the "Yoke" of keeping the Law of Niddah and the Law of Kashrut a burden that is unbearable. It does refresh my soul and give me rest. I find peace in the walk I'm on. I am learning from Yeshua many new things, things I'm searching for, things he's showing me, things I'm being led to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home